Fabien Pinckaers, the founder and current CEO of Odoo, started to develop his first software product, TinyERP in 2005. Three years later, the name was changed to OpenERP in 2010, and finally, In 2014, the company was renamed Odoo officially, On-Demand-Open-Object in the following years. Odoo is a business management software that includes top software projects like,
- Project management,
- Inventory management,
- Health Care, and
And it is available in both the versions.
Community and Enterprise version
- The Community version is under license LGPL v3 open source version.
- The Enterprise version had some features and services.
Advantages of Odoo
- Low cost of implementation
- High customizability
- Easy integration
- Modular architecture
- Easy UI
- Highly Scalable
- Morethan 50 inbuild applications
- Easy to support
- Fully cloud-based
Stages of Odoo
|Official Name Release||Version||Release Month and Year|
|14.0||Expected on Oct 2020|
Odoo S.A (formerly OpenERP S.A) has released the source code is available as open-source. The open core model, which provides subscription-based proprietary enterprise software and cloud-hosted SAAS, in addition to the open-source version.
Awards and Achievements of Odoo
- In 2013, The company won a Deloitte award for being the fastest-growing company, with 1549% growth over a five-year period.
- In 2014 Formed the Odoo Community not-for-profit Association and spread to use in the collaborative development of Odoo S.A features shorty they allowed adding more features with freelancers and organizations to develop Odoo Apps or Modules with officially to sale their Modules commercially to sale or Download it for free and use(Free license).
- In 2015, Inc. Magazine placed Odoo in the top 5000 fastest-growing private companies in Europe.
- Now official core modules like 31 and more than 24700 community modules free and paid are available in Odoo store.
- Odoo has been used as a component of university courses. A study on experimental learning suggested that Odoo (then known as OpenERP).
History of Odoo
Started with the initial development of ERP concept named Tiny ERP, This is the first version of Odoo v1 (TinyERP 1.0) released in Feb 2005 with GPL License
After that two more versions released in the same year with slight modification in the different months, May 2005 and Sep 2005 Odoo v2 (TinyERP 2.0) and Odoo v3 (TinyERP 3.0) and the next version Odoo v4 (TinyERP 4.0) is released on Dec 2006 with minor changes with same GPL License.
Three-year gap comes with major and some interesting changes. The name TinyERP is changed to OpenERP, Odoo v5 (OpenERP 5.0) released in Apr 2009 with the main updates. Integration with google docs and also with the Social media pages like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Another addon was timesheet (Time management of worker job) with the same GPL License.
2 years later in Jan 2011 Odoo v6 (OpenERP 6.0) comes with Significant changes made. Web client was Introduce and license change to GPL to AGPL.
Odoo v6.1 (OpenERP 6.2) is introduced with Ajax Web Client and discontinued GTK client in Feb 2012. Dec 2012 released Odoo v7 (OpenERP 7.0) with improved web client and usability.
In 2014 OpenERP name changed to Odoo (On-Demand-Open-Object) and same year Sep 2014 next release Odoo v8.0 (this is the first version released with named as Odoo officially) with the major changes and updates in core areas like Inventory and WMS, Support for CMS like POS(Point Of Sale), Web Site Builder, E-Commerce and Business Intelligence.
Version 9.0 is released in Oct 2015 Odoo v9.0 with Renovated Accounting Features, Odoo’s main decision made along with this version. Plan to releases with two Edition approach,
- Enterprise Editon with more features and support (paid).
- Community Edition (Free).
And License Changed to LGPL v3 License.
In Oct 2016, Next release Odoo v10.0 with significant changes done in the MRP module(manufacture process) and Service Support, UI Design Changes with the same LGPL v3 License.
In Oct 2017, Next release Odoo v11.0 with technology change moved from Python 2 to Python 3 and changes done in Studio, Refurbished Services Support, Revamped Reporting with the same LGPL v3 License.
Oct 2018, Next release more stable version of Odoo v12.0 comes with added features like Document Management, IoT-devices, multi-website with the same LGPL v3 License.
Oct 2019, Next latest release Odoo 13 with more features and some of most waited thinks below,
- Sales Coupons and Promotion moved to Community edition.
- New Feature Added in MRP Module in the Manufacturing process – Subcontracting.
- Skill Management Module Added.
- Website Form Builder moved to Community Edition.
- Product Videos on Website.
- Inventory Forecast feature Changes.
- Widgets change
- Ribbon (status of the invoice)
- Calculator (performing the arithmetic operations in invoices or purchase)
- ‘Buy Now’ Button in Ecommerce
- Restrict Available Product Categories in POS
And also done a lot of minor changes.
Expected release in 2020
The next version Odoo 14 is expected to release on Oct 2020 and Expected features of Odoo14 below here, source
- New Chart Snippet.
- New Countdown Widget.
- POS Coupon and Promotion Program is Moved to Odoo14 community edition.
- Auto Pop snippet.
- Emojis Widget.
- Product Catalog Snippet.
- Improved Product Pricelist Report.
- New Reporting tool getting ready in Odoo14. Pivot – Spreadsheet.
- Reconciliation Widget is moved to Enterprise.
Do you find it interesting? you might also like these articles. Top 10 Best Tech Companies For Employees To Work In The USA In 2020 and Top 10 IT Staffing and Recruiting Agencies in the USA.
If you have a business idea in your mind and searching for a reliable web development company, you are in the right place. Hire the best web developers in the industry from Agira technologies.